Friday, August 28, 2009

Pimples And All

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Sherryll wrote:


Hey Dan,

Here's a synopsis of my story: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Sorry followers! No spoiler here. We ask for your understanding and patience until we get our book off the ground. In the meantime, please use your imaginations and see Dan’s response below].

From: realgoodart@gmail.com

Subject: Re: What a team!

Date: April 21, 2009 1:46:14 PM GMT-04:00

AWESOME!! So many opportunities for great comedic visuals! I really like the story, and I think it does have a lot of opportunity as a series.

[Without giving too much away, here are Dan’s thoughts around my story outline]:

Sherryll, I don't know if ‘x’ is such a plausible name (for the main character), I only ever met one in my life and he was about 104 years old! It is certainly a unique, unusual name, but it may be better to have a name that a greater majority of readers could relate to.

Dan: I like it because it’s different. Will let it simmer.

[Tone] I see this one as a bit more absurd than moralistic as I had put forth as an objective in earlier email. I love absurd, especially for the purpose of creating slapstick drawings, but ‘x’ doesn't really receive any overt retribution for his mean behavior, so I feel a little unresolved.

Great point, Dan! I totally agree. Will rework it.

[Age specific] I would think of this story for more of the 5-8 age group than the 3-6 (as you had suggested), I don't think my 3 year old could relate to a 10-12 year old adversary.

Hmmm. On the other hand, my 4-year-old sons LOVE being with/learning from/reading about older kids. Will think about it.


[Next up... He said, She said]

No comments:

Post a Comment