Monday, June 1, 2009

And the answer is…

I opened my inbox and saw a message from the editors of Outfront.
Two weeks ago I had submitted a pitch to the CBC radio program, described on their website as, “Your stories, your radio show.” The pitch, which you can read below as the first entry in this blog, was about our quest to write and illustrate a kids’ picture book.

So, with mounting excitement I clicked on the message and here is what it said:

"Sorry Sherryll. Our show has been canceled, and so we are no longer commissioning stories. Best of luck, The Outfront Team"

I forwarded the Outfront email to Dan with this short note: " : ( Back to the drawing board. I will figure out if there is another avenue we can take.”

I assumed a forge-ahead attitude for Dan – which, I will do; I will forge ahead. But I couldn’t help thinking that we had suffered a triple whammy here: First, I felt crushed that our story would not air. Second, I mourned the loss of Outfront – an innovative, grassroots program put out by top-notch people. And third, the most unsettling of all, is that Outfront’s demise is yet another example of what is going on in this economy, and in journalism in particular. RIP Outfront.

~ Sherryll

No comments:

Post a Comment